The Roller Skating Association International, the official voice of the roller skating industry, is thrilled to announce that in just three months since acquiring Kids Skate Free, a milestone record has been reached – 1/2 million kids have now registered to receive two free roller skating passes weekly for their participating home rink.
To celebrate this milestone, the 500,000th child registered, Cobey Greer who registered at Skatin' Station in Canton, MI, will be receiving a prize pack valued at more than $500, which will include roller skates and other incredible prizes donated by Pepsi, Southeastern Skate Supply, Rebecca’s Toys and Novelties, Riedell Skates, Roller Bones and more.
The Kids Skate Free program, acquired in March of 2015, encourages children to stay active and fit by offering them two opportunities every week to visit their local participating roller skating rink. RSA President, Robert Bentley, is thrilled with the program and its ability to spread the joy and benefits of roller skating to families around the globe. A rink owner himself, Bentley launched the program in all four of his rinks and was blown away by the response. “In today's era of technology and with a mounting concern of childhood obesity, the Roller Skating Association is committed to health and fitness by encouraging member roller skating rinks to offer free passes through the KidsSkateFree.com program. I signed up all four of my rinks immediately and already have thousands of parents who have registered their children - a true testament to the power of this program. It's a win for parent's wallets, children's health, and roller skating.”
A few fun facts about roller skating:
Parents who wish to participate may visit www.kidsskatefree.com and click on their state to begin finding their participating roller skating rink and register to receive free passes. If your local roller skating rink does not participate in the program, the RSA encourages parents to notify the rink that they would like them to participate in the program by downloading the letter available at www.kidsskatefree.com and providing to their local rink.
- 30 minutes of roller skating produces a heart rate of at least 148 beats per minute.
- 2x safer than school playground equipment, 3x safer than football and baseball, 4x safer than basketball, 5x safer than riding a bike.
- There are 400% more injuries playing basketball versus roller skating.
- Roller skating works most muscle groups in the body, including quads, abs, calves, glutes and arms.
- Roller skating 1 hour per week can burn up to 600 calories.
- Roller skating causes less than 50% less stress to joints than running.
- According to the American Heart Association, roller skating is one of the top aerobic exercises.